Taking Inspiration from Kalyn- Weekend Herb Blogging

When I heard that Anna of Anna's Cool Finds was hosting while Kalyn is at the Blogher Convention, I had a recipe from Wednesday night's tapas. I saw a recipe by Kayln for an herb rub for fish and since the theme for this weeks tapas was lowfat, healthy food, I decided to take a page from her book, and make something similar. I used cilantro I bought, fresh basil from my "moving garden", lemon juice, olive oil, and fresh parmagiano reggiano. I ground it together by pulsing it in my Magic Bullet, spread it on mahi-mahi fillets and baked for 15 minutes, then broiled for a couple of minutes to make a bit of a crust.For those of you who have not yet succumbed to the Magic Bullet infomercial, you can use a blender or food processor instead.


This turned out to be delicious, almost like a pesto, but a little lighter than traditional pesto with a citrus-y taste that went very well with the delicate flavor of the fish. This lends itself to a milder flavored fish, but I think it could also be a great base for a salad dressing, or served over hot vegetables like zucchini or cauliflower , or even used on chicken as well. This is more guidelines than a recipe, so grab some herbs, some oil and play with food to come up with your own spin!


Herb-Crusted Mahi-Mahi


1 bunch cilantro, without stems
1 handful fresh basil leaves
1/4 cup olive oil
1/2 lemon squeezed
2-ounce chunk of parmesan cheese
3 cloves garlic minced
6 small mahi-mahi fillets (3-4 ounces a piece)



Put all ingredients together in Magic Bullet or food processor.Pulse until well-mixed, adding more olive oil if necessary to get to the consistency of pesto. Spread on top of fish fillets. Bake in ove for 15 minutes or until fillets flake with a fork. Broil 2-3 minutes to toast cheese and then serve.



Comments

Anna Haight said…
This looks delicious and fresh!
Katie Zeller said…
What a lovely green!
What's a Magic Bullet? Is it that black topped thing in the photo? Must google it... Maybe I need one...
Back to the food, great idea for the fish - pesto can get to be a bit heavy...
Deborah Dowd said…
Anna- it was very good and the two pieces leftover still tasted great the next day!

Katiez- Yes, the Magic Bullet is in the picture- it is a combination food processor/blender, handy for small jobs. I use mine everyday to make a protein shake to start my day!
Kalyn Denny said…
Sounds very tasty. I'm happy to hear your moving garden is still thriving.
Deborah Dowd said…
Kalyn- some of my herbs have bolted, but we are getting plenty of basil, variegated sage, and lemon thyme, with the occasional tomato thrown in!