What to do with leftover...duck!

Leftovers... they are becoming a fact of life in our house as I adjust from having 8+ at my dinner table to having only 3-4 for dinner most nights. Now I have had lots of suggestions about things to do with the reserved duck fat from my roast duck dinner on Sunday, but I couldn't bear to waste any of the duck meat so after dinner I threw the two duck carcasses into Ziploc bags, sure I could think of something to do with the bits of delicious meat clinging to the bones. The ducks stayed in my fridge until last night when I knew I had to do something with them or deliver them from their purgatory in the netherworld of my meat drawer. But what to do?


Once removed from the bone, there was about a cup and a half of duck meat to feed four people, but then I had an inspiration based on one of my favorite dishes-Peking Duck. I took flour tortillas, spread on about 2 tsp of hoisin sauce, added a handful of mixed baby greens, 2-3 tablespoons shredded duck meat, and some crumbled honey goat cheese (Costco), some julienned scallions, and rolled it into a neat package. They were delicious! Very light, and the flavors of the goat cheese and duck meat was tempered by the greens and scallions added a bite... a perfect dinner for a hot summer day. And a dish worthy of leftover duck. However, if you don't have duck, I think this dish would be equally good with any leftover poultry. I know I will definitely be making this again, and I hope you will give it a try when you need to rescue a bird carcass from your own fridge!
Peking-Style Duck (or chicken, or turkey) Wraps
1 pkg flour tortillas, warmed
4 scallions cut into 2-3 inch julienne pieces
4 cups mixed salad greens, baby greens or butter lettuce
1-3 cups leftover roasted poultry, shredded (duck, chicken or turkey)
4 tablespoons hoisin sauce
3 ounces honey (or other) goat cheese
For each serving, spread 2 tsp hoisin sauce on a warm tortillas (I used the microwave to warm mine), add a handful of baby greens, spread 2 tbsp-1/4 cup (depending on how much leftover meat you have!) poultry over the greens, add julienned scallions,then about 2 tbsp goat cheese broken into small chunks. Roll tightly into a bundle (a la burrito). Cut in half and serve. I think these would also be great with sliced plum added (but alas, I had none).
If you like Peking duck, you will love this light and easy version, especially since you won't even have to heat up your stove on a hot August day!

Comments

s'kat said…
Great use of leftovers! Mine typically get stuffed into some sort of pasta and frozen for another day.
Deborah Dowd said…
Shelley-If I had thought of that...
h said…
Very creative. Perfect for me. I like Duck only in Smallish portions.
Unknown said…
Leftover duck is always a challenge and it looks like you rose to it well Deborah. I usually just turn it into duck stock bec. I rarely have much meat left to worry over. And G-d knows duck does not make for good sandwiches or cold eating off the bone.
Deborah Dowd said…
artful sub- I guess maybe you could just cook the duck and then freeze in portions to suit you, or pull it out for guests!

bob- I wondered about duck stock, but had never done it before and wasn't sure how to use it (interchangeable with other poultry stock?) so I didn't do it. But now, I will give it a try next time!
geedoch said…
Are you attempting to extract the Michael from someone ?
Whatever it is it's not a recipe.