Potted Shrimp (or Dracula Shrimp)

As part of our British night for the Olympics, since I had made the beef and Yorkshire pudding before, I wanted to make something new and different, so I perused the available options in my Treasury of Great Recipes by Vincent and Mary Price, and I was stopped by a recipe that the Prices attributed to their friends, the Karloffs (as in Boris Karloff),who served this dish for dinner. Once I read the story, I had to try this dish (I can't resist a recipe with a story).

Potted shrimp is apparently a well-known and common appetizer in England, served with crackers or bread. While the recipe called for tiny shrimp, I used regular shrimp and chopped it up fine. I think if I made this again I would grate a bit of onion into the shrimp as well. However, this dish will not be known as potted shrimp in our house. They immediately dubbed it "Dracula Shrimp" in honor of it's origin. Give it a try-it's devilishly delicious!!

Dracula Shrimp

1 cup tiny salad shrimp or regular shrimp chopped into small pieces

2 tablespoons grated onion
1/4 cup melted butter
1/4 tsp mace
1/8 tsp nutmeg

Melt butter and add spices. Mix all ingredients together making sure that shrimp ar covered with butter mixture. Place in a small crock and chill in refrigerator. Spread on crackers or toast.

Comments

Glenna said…
I LOVE this! Where did you get that cookbook? I want one! I always love people/actors who surprise me like that Vincent Price was a nice guy, a gourmand, and an art connosier (sp?), like that Fred Gwynne (Munsters) had a genius IQ, etc.

So cool!
Deborah Dowd said…
Glenna- My mother in law bought it for me brand new years ago, but I think you can still get copies on eBay!
Glenna said…
I'll have to get it. That's the kind of quirky things I love.