Friday, October 01, 2010

If at first you don't succeed.... My Project Food Blog Journey

Well, my journey with Foodbuzz's Project Food Blog is over- I am not advancing to round 3 of the competition. Besides the thrill of competing against other foodbloggers, what did I gain from competing?  After all, there was the pressure of developing and writing posts on a tight timescale, the time spent planning, preparing, photographing, writing and editing.  And for what?

I became familiar with so many new bloggers whom I hope to continue to follow.  I have read so many posts with different styles, and voices and perspectives.  I learned about new dishes and cuisines and ingredients. I had a great time being primped and posed like America's Next Top Model by my daughters who helped with the concept and the taking of my PFB profile picture.  I enjoyed support from family and friends and readers.

Am I disappointed? Yes of course.  Competing successfully and having your blog assessed by judges whom you respect as worthy is very validating, and as a Type A personality, I keep second guessing, "What could I or should I have done differently?" What can I do to make my blog better?  How can I connect with more readers, increase my appeal?  I will have to experiment, and stretch, and polish.

So now that my time as a competitor is over what will I do?  First I will support my friends who are still competing in PFB !  I will turn my immediate focus on getting ready for my son's wedding on October 16 and the rehearsal dinner that I am hosting at our home. I will make new dishes and work to share the stories that go with them.  I will share with my readers  new restaurants, new ingredients, new experiences and I hope that these shared experiences will make my food and my life richer and full of flavor!

18 comments:

The Mistress of Spices said...

Hi Deborah, I'm sorry to hear that you didn't advance to the next round. I had actually seen and voted for your entry, b/c I love South African food and culture and I love bobotie! But I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed the experience and were able to connect with so many great bloggers. I look forward to reading your blog regularly!

FOODalogue said...

I think everybody wins in some form or another from this. As you said, we get to meet new bloggers, perhaps get new readers and, most importantly, I personally have learned something from each challenge. I think I'm going to be a better blogger.

See you around the blogosphere.

doggybloggy said...

I really like your inspirational outlook - you have motivated me in a deep and sincere way.

Megan said...

Hello dear.... no worries about not advancing... you have a lot on your plate with the rehearsal dinner at your house! How fun and how brave! - I tell you... it is a bit of a stress having to compete like this... I don't want this to loose it's fun! I am really excited to hear about what you are planning to cook! - Megan

schutta said...

NEVER GIVE UP

singapore said...

good post Singapore Dine Singapore

Mary Gem said...

i like your blog keep it up great work

printable coupons fort myers said...

i like your blog and recipes as they proved very beneficial to me and i decided to comment once again on your blog .Thanks dear.

daphne said...

it's okay honey. .just keep your faith. I know you can do it next time=)

Pandora Poikilos said...

Hi! I've tagged your blog as Blog-A-Licious! Please pick up your blog-a-licious badge from http://peacefrompieces.blogspot.com/p/blog-licious.html
Cheers - Dora
http://peacefrompieces.blogspot.com/

Seafood Naples said...

hi deborah,this is nice that you learnt from your competition,it will help me in my future compititions, I look forward to reading your blog regularly!

TESOL certification said...

Being in a tight competition sure is tough. I'm pretty sure that you did your best. Just stay positive and keep doing what you love.

Zafran ali said...

I've definitely voted, I love some of your food experiments!
pegasos world turkey

foodie said...

we love your blog....you're the winner

Credit Union said...

I can really appreciate your optimistic stance. Anytime I can meet someone new, I consider that a win-win!

cooksclub said...

Sounds like not all was lost, sounds like you had a really good time, and put together a solid game plan! Congrats on getting where you got to!

Sophia said...

I just bumped into your site. You blog name made me smile. I love it. Yes, cooking should be fun.

Merry Christmas!

Indian Recipe Book said...

First time here...u have nice space and really inspirational stuff... I'll be back soon.